About Star Jobs
Star Jobs is a new and simplified way to help you identify promising occupations. Star ratings are assigned based on wages, projected growth rate, and projected job openings, and each occupation has a rating of between 1 and 5 stars. Occupations with 5 stars are considered to have better career prospects than occupations with fewer stars. For more information on Star Jobs, the Star Jobs methodology, and statewide brochure, click here. You can access all 16 regional brochures here.
About the Page
The Star Jobs page allows you to search more than 700 occupations in North Carolina by geography, wage, education, and career cluster. You can also sort data by clicking on the triangle icon on the column header (such as Stars or Title header). Detailed occupational information are available by clicking the green plus sign (“+”) next to the occupational title.
About the Data
- Latest North Carolina Occupational Projections
- Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics in North Carolina (OEWS)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Education Requirements
- O*NET Career Clusters
- There may be adjustments to the ratings based on knowledge of the labor market.
- The following occupations were not rated:
- Occupations with fewer than 50 total jobs statewide (5 total jobs sub-state) projected for 2030.
- Occupations excluded from the BLS’s Occupational Outlook Handbook, such as “Engineers, All Other.” These are difficult to describe due to the high variation of work and responsibilities within the occupation.
- Occupations with a high percentage of non-covered employment, thus less available data- e.g. Clergy; Directors of Religious Activities and Education; and Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers.
- Not all wage data is available at the state and sub-state level. Please consult with OEWS for further detail for suppressed data, excessively high wages, and occupations with no data.